Tuesday, December 19, 2006

The name Declan

People have been asking about my name. Since I am not able to talk yet, I thought I would use this forum to explain. Of course, one of the first things I did after I came home for the hospital was google my own name. This is what I came up with:

"From dag "good" and lan "full" suggesting "full of goodness." St. Declan was the founder of a monastery at Ardmore in County Waterford and may have preached in Ireland before the arrival of St. Patrick. Many miracles are attributed to a rock on the beach at Ardmore known as St. Declan's Stone. According to legend, on a trip back from Wales one of his disciples, Runanus, forgot Declan's sacred bell. But a prayer from Declan and, miraculously, the stone carried the bell over the waves back to Waterford." http://www.babynamesofireland.com/pages/boy-names-c-d.html

The name just kind of came to my mom one morning, and neither of my parents could think of anything better. It is uncommon, yet it is an actual name. If you would like to read more about St. Declan my daddy has an extensive essay on his life. Just email him.

No comments: